High School Senior Scholarship Opportunity
High school seniors enrolling in college for the fall of 2016 — have you thought about getting extra money for college? Interested in the potential to earn money towards books or tuition? If so, then check out this opportunity to earn a $1,000 scholarship from the Ohio Coal Association Education Initiative!
High school seniors planning to enroll in a college, university, and/or technical school in the fall of 2016 have an opportunity to earn a $1,000 scholarship from the Ohio Coal Association’s Education Initiative by submitting an essay about Ohio’s coal industry.
Possible topics for the essay include, but are not limited to:
- The politics of coal
- Coal and the environment
- How coal plays a future in the American energy portfolio
- How coal plays a future in the international energy portfolio
- Essays specific to an Ohio coal company (see our website for a list of companies)
- Working in the coal industry
- Coal mining: types of mining and how coal is mined
- The effects of phasing coal in our energy strategy
While topic selections are free for students to choose, essays will be judged on relevance to coal topics and research behind the topic presented.
Guidelines for the essay, eligibility requirements, and submission format
- The essay must be no more than 1500 words in length.
- You must be an Ohio resident upon graduation of high school in the spring of 2016.
- You must be attending an accredited 2- or 4-year higher education institution as a first-time enrollee freshman in the fall of 2016; or enrolling in a technical school in the fall of 2016.
Please include in the application, separate from the essay, the following information
- Address, including county of residence
- Home and/or cell phone
- Email (if applicable)
- Mailing address
- High school you will be graduating from
- College or university you’ve selected to enroll in or
colleges or universities you have narrowed your selection down to
SUMISSION MUST BE MADE BY FRIDAY MAY 20, 2016
Point of contact for submission:
Manager of Government Affairs
Email your submission to: email@example.com
Submission via mail: (The application only needs postmarked by May 20, 2016):
Ohio Coal Association
Attn: Blaine Kelly
17 South High Street, Suite 310
Columbus, Ohio 43215